The science of dental implantation was first discovered in the 1960s. Decades later, dental implants continue to be the ideal tooth replacement option for patients who have recently experienced tooth loss. Read on to learn why, and if you are interested in undergoing treatment, set aside time in your schedule to have a dentist at Dental Pointe in Naperville, IL, evaluate you for dental implants.
After Tooth Loss
When it comes to dental care, losing a tooth is one of the most upsetting outcomes. Over time, if the dental opening isn’t filled, the bone tissue will begin to lose its density and the other teeth could lose their stability. The best course of action after tooth loss is to have dental implants installed as soon as possible.
Dental Implant Benefits
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root made of titanium, which is a durable, high-quality biocompatible material. These are some of the reasons why dental implants are considered the premier treatment for tooth loss:
- Since you do not have to remove the implant, it can be easily cleaned along with your other teeth.
- A dental implant does not lose its fit over time and doesn’t need to be replaced by your Naperville dentist every few years.
- Dental implants keep your bone tissue useful, so it continues to stay healthy and maintain a good level of density.
Dental Implant Care
The way you care for your teeth in general, and how you maintain the dental implant in particular, will determine how long it lasts as a part of your smile. It is very possible for a dental implant to stay in its position for decades, as long as you observe these simple care tips:
- Floss carefully and thoroughly around the implant (and your other teeth) to remove leftover food particles and plaque.
- Schedule regular dental cleanings to prevent peri-implantitis (a form of gum disease).
- Ask your dentist for a nightguard if you have a problem with grinding and clenching when you’re sleeping.
A Better Smile
Don’t let a missing tooth limit your smile and hold you back from being relaxed and confident in everyday social situations. Call (630) 333-9571 today to schedule a visit with a dentist at Dental Pointe in Naperville, IL.