Posts for tag: Teeth Whitening
Could your smile stand a little improvement? Teeth whitening offers a simple, inexpensive way to boost your smile. The Naperville, IL, dentists at Dental Pointe answer a few questions about teeth whitening treatment.
Will whitening help my smile?
Teeth whitening is an excellent choice if your tooth enamel has become dull and stained. Some degree of staining is almost inevitable, no matter how well you care for your teeth. Although tooth enamel naturally becomes duller as you age, you may be unwittingly hastening the process. If you're a smoker, or you eat or drink foods and beverages that contain dark pigments, you're at greater risk for dull, stained teeth. Common food and beverage culprits include berries, soy sauce, popsicles, brightly colored candies, coffee, tea, wine and cola.
Luckily, teeth whitening treatment in our Naperville office can remove stains that affect tooth enamel. Hydrogen peroxide, the active ingredient in both over-the-counter and professional whiteners, penetrates tiny pores in your enamel and breaks apart the pigments, leaving your smile whiter.
Is over-the-counter or professional whitening best?
Both types of whitening can lighten your teeth, but professional whitening offers several advantages. Because professional whiteners contain stronger concentrations of hydrogen peroxide than drugstore whiteners, professional whitening results are quicker and more dramatic. In fact, most people notice a three- to eight-shade difference after a single one-hour professional whitening session. At-home professional whitening takes a little longer, but also offers impressive results.
Before your teeth are whitened, they'll be examined and cleaned thoroughly. The exam is particularly important because it can detect dental problems that may be responsible for the changes in the color in your teeth. If you do have a dental issue, it's important to treat it before proceeding with whitening. Cleaning removes plaque and tartar, substances that aren't affected by whiteners. If plaque and tartar remain on teeth when the hydrogen peroxide gel is applied, they'll look mottled or speckled following treatment.
Sensitivity can occur if the hydrogen peroxide touches your gums or roots. Before your professional whitening session begins, a protective gel will be applied to your roots. During the session, small retractors will be used to prevent your lips and cheeks from coming in contact with the whitener. After just 60 minutes, the whitening gel will be removed to reveal a whiter smile.
Are you ready to brighten your smile? Call the Naperville, IL, dentists at Dental Pointe at (630) 333-9571 to schedule your appointment.
Would you like a brighter smile? Naperville, IL, dentists - Dr. Rani Seeth, Dr. Rachel George and Dr. Tabasam Akbar - at Dental Pointe explain how teeth whitening can transform your smile.
How does whitening work?
Teeth whitening is very effective at removing extrinsic stains that dull your tooth enamel. Hydrogen peroxide, the active ingredient in teeth whitening agents, bleaches stained enamel, leaving you with a brighter smile. In fact, many people notice a three- to eight-shade improvement after just one treatment session.
What whitening options are available?
If you're considering whitening, you have three choices:
- Over-The-Counter Products: Over-the-counter whitening gels, liquids, trays and strips can be effective at lightening teeth, but you'll need to use the products for weeks or months to see a difference. Some manufacturers also offer toothpastes designed to whiten teeth. Although these pastes can be helpful at first, if they're too abrasive, they'll erode your enamel, making the duller dentin layer underneath more visible.
- Professional In-Office Whitening: Professional whitening at Dental Pointe's Naperville office offers the quickest, easiest way to whiten your teeth. Before any professional whitening treatment, your teeth will be cleaned to remove plaque and tartar. Because whitening agents can't penetrate these deposits, cleaning is a must. Prior to whitening, a coat of protective gel will be applied to your gums to prevent root and gum irritation. The whitening treatment itself only takes about one hour. After the hydrogen peroxide is brushed on to your teeth, you can crack open the latest bestseller or advance to the next Candy Crush level while you wait for the whitening agent to remove stains.
- Professional Take-Home Whitening Kits: Dental Pointe also offers custom-made trays for in-home whitening. If you prefer this option, your trays will be made from an impression of your teeth. You'll simply add whitening gel to the trays several days per week for a few weeks, as recommended by your dentist. Whitening kits are also ideal for touching up your results between whitening treatments.
How long will my teeth stay white?
Your teeth may be noticeably whiter for two or three years or longer, as long as you stay away from foods and beverages that cause extrinsic stains, such as cola, wine, tea, coffee, berries and soy sauce.
Get the dazzling smile you've always wanted with professional teeth whitening. Call your Naperville, IL, dentists - Dr. Seeth, Dr. George and Dr. Akbar at Dental Pointe - at (630) 333-9571 to schedule an appointment.
Why Your Teeth Become Stained
What Our Office Can Offer for You
- Comprehensive Consultation: Our dentist will examine your teeth and gums before a whitening treatment. Then your smile will then be matched to a shade guide. This will help you to see your measurable results after the process is complete.
- Preparation of Teeth: You will need to have an in-office cleaning before the teeth whitening can be done. This ensures that food particles, bacteria and tarter will not interfere with the whitening agent.
- Application of the Whitening Agent: A protective coating or device will be used to ensure the whitening agent does not bother your gums.
- Duration of Treatment: Some patients can see an eight-shade difference after just an hour! Depending on the treatment, a special light may be used to intensify the teeth whitening gel.