Would you like a brighter smile? Naperville, IL, dentists - Dr. Rani Seeth, Dr. Rachel George and Dr. Tabasam Akbar - at Dental Pointe explain how teeth whitening can transform your smile.
How does whitening work?
Teeth whitening is very effective at removing extrinsic stains that dull your tooth enamel. Hydrogen peroxide, the active ingredient in teeth whitening agents, bleaches stained enamel, leaving you with a brighter smile. In fact, many people notice a three- to eight-shade improvement after just one treatment session.
What whitening options are available?
If you're considering whitening, you have three choices:
- Over-The-Counter Products: Over-the-counter whitening gels, liquids, trays and strips can be effective at lightening teeth, but you'll need to use the products for weeks or months to see a difference. Some manufacturers also offer toothpastes designed to whiten teeth. Although these pastes can be helpful at first, if they're too abrasive, they'll erode your enamel, making the duller dentin layer underneath more visible.
- Professional In-Office Whitening: Professional whitening at Dental Pointe's Naperville office offers the quickest, easiest way to whiten your teeth. Before any professional whitening treatment, your teeth will be cleaned to remove plaque and tartar. Because whitening agents can't penetrate these deposits, cleaning is a must. Prior to whitening, a coat of protective gel will be applied to your gums to prevent root and gum irritation. The whitening treatment itself only takes about one hour. After the hydrogen peroxide is brushed on to your teeth, you can crack open the latest bestseller or advance to the next Candy Crush level while you wait for the whitening agent to remove stains.
- Professional Take-Home Whitening Kits: Dental Pointe also offers custom-made trays for in-home whitening. If you prefer this option, your trays will be made from an impression of your teeth. You'll simply add whitening gel to the trays several days per week for a few weeks, as recommended by your dentist. Whitening kits are also ideal for touching up your results between whitening treatments.
How long will my teeth stay white?
Your teeth may be noticeably whiter for two or three years or longer, as long as you stay away from foods and beverages that cause extrinsic stains, such as cola, wine, tea, coffee, berries and soy sauce.
Get the dazzling smile you've always wanted with professional teeth whitening. Call your Naperville, IL, dentists - Dr. Seeth, Dr. George and Dr. Akbar at Dental Pointe - at (630) 333-9571 to schedule an appointment.
It is inevitable that in your lifetime there may come a time you will need oral surgery. Thankfully the professional dentists at Dental Pointe in Naperville, IL, are well versed in performing dental procedures under local anesthesia with the most minimal recovery time imaginable. These procedures are performed to relieve pain, to restore function, to improve the patient’s appearance or to treat infection or even trauma.
Types of Oral Surgery Procedure Types
Some of the most common oral surgery types include:
- Tooth Extractions: This is required when a diseased tooth cannot be saved, teeth are crowded and need space for orthodontic treatment or if a wisdom tooth is impacted.
- Dental Implants: This tooth replacement option attaches a crown above the gum line with a screw directly into the jaw bone.
- TMD/TMJ: When other treatments fail, surgery is often required for patients with serious misalignment and/or jaw issues.
- Facial Trauma/Reconstructive Surgery: Knocked-out teeth can sometimes be reimplanted or replaced with dental implants.
- Oral Diagnosis/Biopsy: When a dentist or dental hygienist sees something suspicious in the mouth, a biopsy is performed to detect or rule out oral cancer. This involves removing a small tissue sample for a pathologist to test.
What to Expect with Oral Surgery in Naperville
When you’re preparing for oral surgery, it is important that you understand everything associated with your oral surgery procedure to help keep anxiety at bay. Generally, x-rays will be taken to help diagnose the issue the most precisely. A professional oral surgeon will also discuss anesthesia options and will explain the procedure in full so you understand what to expect. A good oral surgeon will also answer any question you may have about the surgery or the process overall.
Oral surgeons at Dental Pointe in Naperville, IL, offer professional oral surgery experiences that are pain-free. To schedule a comprehensive dental consultation with one of their many professional oral surgeons, call (630) 333-9571 today.
Worried that your oral routine just isn’t up to par? Challenge what you think you know about caring for your smile.
You’ve been caring for your smile for a while now so you may not really think much about your oral routine, but if one of our Naperville, IL, dentists, Dr. Rani Seeth, Dr. Rachel George and Dr. Tabasam Akbar, htold you that you have more plaque or tartar buildup than usual, then you may be wondering what you can do to improve your at-home care. Discover these simple but helpful techniques to make sure you are brushing and flossing effectively.
Flossing is a crucial part of an oral care routine. Not flossing every day means that you may face more plaque and tartar buildup, particularly between teeth. Why? Because your toothbrush won’t be able to get in between teeth as well as floss can. When you don’t floss you miss about one-third of dental surfaces (Yuck!). With plaque being the leading cause of gum disease, it’s important that you floss at least once a day, preferably before brushing, prior to bedtime.
It only takes two to three days before plaque hardens into tartar, which cannot be removed unless your Naperville general dentist does so with special instruments. When you floss, make sure that you use a generous amount of floss. After all, you want to use a different clean section of floss for each space between teeth.
Wrap the floss around the base of the tooth and gently move it back and forth. Slowly and carefully move the floss out of the space between teeth. Particularly, in the beginning, you may find that your gums bleed, but bleeding usually will go away after a couple days as long as you consistently floss; however, if you notice that bleeding continues for a while then it’s time to talk to our Naperville, IL, family dentists.
Brushing is the one part of oral care that is the most obvious, yet not everyone brushes as effectively as they should. How often do you brush your teeth? How long do you brush each? These are important questions to pose to yourself to determine whether you are brushing properly. You should be brushing at least twice a day (ideally, after every meal) and for a minimum of 2 minutes each time. If you aren’t doing this, then it’s time you made these simple changes. The type of toothbrush you use is up to you. Whatever is easier to use will most likely be the best choice for keeping your smile clean.
Dental Pointe in Naperville, IL, is always here to make sure that you get the best care possible for your smile. Whether you need to schedule your six-month cleaning or you want to talk to us about cosmetic dentistry, give us a call anytime!
If you want to prevent damage to your braces you’ll want to nix certain foods from your diet.
If you’ve decided it’s time to get braces from one of our Naperville dentists Dr. Rani Seeth, Dr. Rachel George or Dr. Tabasm Akbar, then congratulations! This is a big step to finally get the smile you deserve. Of course, it’s important to know that while wearing your braces certain changes will need to be made to accommodate your treatment. Discover what foods you’ll need to stay away from during your orthodontic treatment if you want to prevent your braces from breaking or falling off.
A good rule of thumb to follow is to stay away from any foods that are sticky, chewy, hard or crunchy. Yes, this does remove a lot of foods from your diet, but you’ll be happy you did it when you go through your entire orthodontic treatment without broken or damaged braces (damaged braces can increase your length of treatment).
Avoid these foods:
- Ice (yes, we know it’s not really a food but we also know some regular ice crunchers out there. Don’t do it!)
- Caramels, gummy bears or taffy
- Hard candies
- Sodas and sports drinks (sugar can get trapped behind brackets and wires and are more likely to cause tooth decay)
You may have these foods but we recommend taking extreme caution:
- Certain tougher breads (e.g. bagels): Make sure to cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- Corn on the cob: You’ll want to remove the corn from the cob prior to eating
- Crunchy fruits and veggies: Apples are a healthy snack, but biting into an apple can be dangerous for braces. Make sure to cut any crisp fruits and vegetables into smaller and more manageable pieces
If you are interested in finding out more about getting braces in Naperville and what they could do for your smile then it’s time you called Dental Pointe today to schedule your consultation. Get the smile you’ve always wanted!
These thin porcelain shells can go a long way to transforming the look of your smile.
Cosmetic dentistry has certainly come a long way over the years. Now your Naperville dentists, Dr. Rani Seeth, Dr. Rachel George and Dr. Tabasam Akbar, can give you the healthier, straighter and whiter smile you want without invasive procedures. If you are looking to improve your smile’s appearance, it is time you discovered dental veneers.
These thin tooth-colored shells are a great way to improve the overall look, shape and size of your teeth without the need for invasive cosmetic dentistry. Plus, these veneers also provide protection and strength to tooth enamel.
In order to get dental veneers, your Naperville family dentists will need to examine your smile to make sure that these cosmetic restorations are the best option. Before you come into our office, think about the smile goals you want to achieve through cosmetic dentistry.
Veneers are a great option for those looking to mask these dental flaws:
- Misshapen teeth
- Cracks and chips
- Teeth that are crooked
- Overlapping teeth
- Spaces between teeth
- Teeth that are too short
- Teeth that are worn down
While veneers won’t be able to hide severe malocclusions, crookedness or other alignment issues, this procedure can be a great way to fix minor to moderate dental problems without needing orthodontics or more invasive procedures.
Getting Dental Veneers
Unlike dental crowns, porcelain veneers require less tooth preparation. This means a lot less tooth enamel is removed than with dental crowns. And most of the time the teeth can be shaved down without even needing anesthesia (a major perk!).
Veneers are only bonded to the front part of the tooth using a special resin. The resin is applied between the veneer and the front surface of the tooth, where the resin is the hardened using a dental laser. All veneers are custom-made to fit your smile and to offer a realistic color so that no one even knows you are wearing veneers.
Dental veneers have revamped countless smiles and yours could be next. Call Dental Pointe in Naperville, IL to schedule your cosmetic consultation. We are here to serve you!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.